PAWLEYS ISLAND HISTORIC DISTRICT|
Eight elegantly rustic antebellum summer retreats border the Atlantic at the
eastern end of the island's circa 1846 south causeway, about midway between
Pawleys' north and south ends. Each of these homes has survived several
major hurricanes that decimated most other parts of the small island, most
recently Hazel in 1954 and Hugo in 1989.|
The Pelican Inn, pre - Civil War summer residence of plantation owner Plowden Charles Jenrette Weston, was constructed of numbered cypress planks brought from Hagley Plantation. The Ward House, also known as Liberty Lodge, has the original hand-hewn sills and joints. Two of these homes belonged to All Saints' Episcopal Church; one was their summer parsonage where planter's evening summer services were held and one was the summer residence of their children's academy headmaster.